Monday, July 27, 2015

8 Weeks into Second Knee Replacement

The right knee has been tougher to deal with. I had a hematoma on top of the knee and at about 3 or 4 weeks out, I had to have a second surgery to clean that out and find the cause. I had a large vein in an unusual spot that was seeping. I ruined my surgeons perfect record of 19 years! It was a stubborn vein and took several cauterizings and he stitched it 4 times to make sure it held., then he stitched the incision he had to make in my original incision. That turned out to be a grueling painful stitch removal. ouch. ouch. ouch. I am back to full strength physical therapy (PT) and back to progressing with the bend and stretch. I have taken more pain meds with this knee than the first one, The knee swelling up full of blood is rather uncomfortable. School starts in less than 2 weeks and I needed this whole time to recover. I haven't been sitting at the computer long enough to write about this second experience. I have been moodier, lonelier and crankier this time! I have also had lots of good times with friends. It has been an emotional roller coaster of a summer.

This has been a heck of a medical year, early fall I had my cataracts removed, one eye at a time, then the week before Thanksgiving I had the first knee replacement, June 11, I had the second knee replacement. everything is good and I expect a healthy year ahead! I wanted all this done before retirement and it is done.I am pretty bionic right now, in my purse I have a separate ID card for each eye and one for the left knee. The right knee ID card should come soon. looking forward to that.

No comments: